Tuition to be held flat for resident undergraduate students in fiscal year 2020

0
248
The Kansas Board of Regents will hold tuition flat for all state universities. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas Board of Regents decided Wednesday to hold tuition flat for undergraduate students at all state universities for the next year.

This applies to K-State, but out-of-state and graduate students will see a 1.5 percent increase.

Kansas State University originally requested a 3.1 percent increase at last month’s meeting with the regents, the largest request compared to other state university proposals. However, the board requested that universities rework their proposals in consideration of the Kansas Legislature’s appropriations bill which, according to the background on posted on the board’s website, restored $6.5 million dollars to state universities from the funding cuts of fiscal year 2017, provided the board with a $15.7 million grant to distribute to universities and provided universities more than $10 million for employee pay adjustments.

K-State reworked its tuition proposal, bringing it down to a 1.5 percent increase.

“By revising our tuition request from 3.1 percent to 1.5 percent, the university will lower planned tuition earnings by approximately $3 million,” the revised tuition proposal reads. “As a result, we will have to slow our planned investments in Strategic Enrollment Initiatives … Reducing this planned investment by approximately $1.5 million will place the university at a greater risk for further enrollment declines and reduced tuition revenue earnings.”

K-State was the only university to request an increase at Wednesday’s meeting. All other universities that had originally requested an increase came back with revised proposals to keep tuition flat.

“The Budget Office was conservative in the allocations that were distributed to colleges and units so it won’t have a substantial impact on the budgets,” Cindy Bontrager, vice president of administration and finance, said in an email.

Provost Charles Taber said cuts to units may be in order due to reduced tuition revenue.

“We are disappointed in the outcome, but we do understand the board’s reasons for holding resident undergraduate tuition flat for regents universities, and we are now working to implement a budget within that reality,” Taber said in an email comment. “There of course will be cuts to units in order to balance the budget with lower tuition revenue.”

Rachel Hogan
Hey, hi, hello! I’m Rachel Hogan, the copy chief for The Collegian. I’m a senior in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I’m not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time cuddling with my dog, working as a barista and laughing with my friends.