K-State Rowing earns Big 12 Sportspersons of the Year award

0
63

The K-State rowing team has been named the Big 12 Sportspersons of the Year after overcoming the loss of teammate Samantha Scott last fall, setting program records, working closely with the community and achieving academic success.

“They really leaned on each other through the tough times and that made them stronger,” head coach Patrick Sweeney told K-State Sports. “They went through the adversity together, and they were ready to work. They could have let the situation sink them, but they didn’t, they did the opposite.”

The Wildcats finished third in the Big 12, swept the Sunflower Showdown, won five medals at the SIRA Championships and won four medals at the Sunshine State Invitational.

The rowing team also completed a combined total of 414 hours of community service through work in Cats in the Classroom, Cats for Cans, Tipoff for TP and National Girls and Women in Sports day.

In the classroom, the Wildcats put 25 girls on the Academic All-Big 12 team. Senior Molly Ross was also awarded the Big 12 Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year, and 42 rowers earned spots on the Big 12 Commissioners Honor Roll. Fourteen girls earned a 4.0 GPA and the team had an overall GPA of 3.337.

The rowing team will hit the water this fall for the start of the 2019-2020 season.

Molly Hackett
I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.