Letter from the Editor: Here’s to a great year and 125 more volumes

0
195
(Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

Welcome back to campus!

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I am the editor of the newspaper you’re reading right now. Whether you’re reading this because you found a paper copy on campus or you found it online, thanks for reading!

This is the start of what I hope will be an excellent year at K-State. The beginning of the school year is a time of new beginnings and goal setting. It’s the time of year that students plan to make new friends and try to make the new term better than the last. The Collegian also has goals as we look at a new year.

This year, the Collegian will be putting out its 125th volume and with such a milestone, I think it’s important to allow our history to guide us into the future. The Collegian has always been the independent voice of the study body, even in the first years when it was called the Student’s Herald. In addition to providing information and a voice to the students of K-State, the Collegian has often times been a leader in innovation for the collegiate press.

The goal of the Collegian is to resurrect that legacy. Students are our audience and let’s face it, people our age don’t typically get news in print, we get our news online ⁠— usually through social media. As busy as students are these days, we don’t have time to necessarily read 3,000 word articles. We want more than just words on a page. We are visual: we like things with graphics that illustrate convoluted topics and videos.

My goal for the Collegian this year is to find a balance between the functions of the traditional newspaper and the kind of content today’s student likes to consume. In my mind, that looks like more Twitter polls and social media interaction (@kstatecollegian on Twitter and Instagram.) That means using Instagram stories and live posts to let you know what we are seeing on campus. It will be getting news out about what’s happening on campus to you as quickly and accurately as possible. It will be researching and digging into campus issues so that you don’t have to. And most importantly, it will be the Collegian making an effort to be part of the conversation at K-State.

We are not here for the people who work at the Collegian, we are here for the people who read the Collegian⁠ — and that’s you. If there are things you’d like to see us do differently or more of, let us know by emailing me at kmclaughlin@kstatecollegian.com or stopping by our office in Kedzie 116. If you have an opinion you’d like to share with the K-State community, write a letter to the editor and send it to letters@kstatecollegian.com. If you have a news tip, a concern about something on campus or an event you’d like us to be at, send an email to news@kstatecollegian.com.

Here’s to a great year and 125 more volumes,

Kaylie McLaughlin

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.