Let the games continue: Week two Big 12 power rankings

0
1366
Junior running back Harry Trotter runs the ball in for a touchdown during K-State's football game against Nicholls in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Aug. 31, 2019. The Wildcats took the Colonels 49-14. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The college football season has begun and each team in the Big 12 is still undefeated. From coaching debuts to similar faces in different places, week one was action-packed.

10. The University of Kansas (NR)

There are still ‘Miles to go’ in Lawrence despite a 24-17 win over Indiana State on Saturday. The Jayhawk defense picked up the offense several times during the game including a pick-six by senior cornerback Hasan Defense and recorded three sacks.

Senior quarterback Carter Stanley threw for 241 yards and two touchdowns. Stanley’s favorite receiver in Saturday was junior wide receiver Andrew Parchment who caught eight passes for 121 yards.

Former All-Big 12 running back Sophomore Pooka Williams will be back in action after a suspension this week but will see limited action.

The Jayhawks will square off against Coastal Carolina under the lights in Lawrence on Saturday at 6 p.m. on ESPN+ in a game where KU is the seven-point favorite.

9. West Virginia University (NR)

The Mountaineers struggled against James Madison, but managed to secure a 20-13 win on Saturday. Oklahoma transfer junior Austin Kendall threw for 260 yards and two touchdowns in the victory.

Sophomore linebacker Josh Chandler recorded 14 tackles, nine of which were solo against the Dukes.

West Virginia is another team that lost a significant amount of talent, so it will be interesting to see how the Mountaineers respond.

The Mountaineers will play Missouri on Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPN2. Missouri enters the game as a 13.5 point favorite.

8. Texas Christian University (RV)

TCU played a solid game on Saturday in a 39-7 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Former K-State senior quarterback Alex Delton went 10 for 22 for 119 yards, but led the team in rushing with seven carries for 67 yards.

Freshman quarterback Max Duggan threw for 165 yards and one touchdown. Senior wide receiver TreVontae Hights had eight receptions for 108 yards. The running core ran for 200 yards and two touchdowns.

TCU played a solid game, but not necessarily good enough to receive votes.

The Horned Frogs will have a week off before going on the road to face Purdue in week three.

7. Kansas State (NR)

The Wildcats played a near-perfect game last Saturday in a 49-14 win over Nicholls in the debut of head coach Chris Klieman. The Wildcats put up 573 yards of total offense and were never forced to punt the entire game.

Junior quarterback Skylar Thompson threw for 212 yards and one touchdown. K-State ran the ball exceptionally well and rushed for 361 yards and five touchdowns by individual Wildcats.

K-State will play Bowling Green at home on Saturday at 11 a.m. on the Fox Sports Network. K-State enters the game as 23.5 point favorites.

6. Texas Tech (NR)

Texas Tech took care of business in a 45-10 victory over Montana State on Saturday.

Sophomore quarterback Alan Bowman was lights out throwing for 436 yards and two touchdowns.

Sophomore wide receiver Xavier White received for 107 yards and one touchdown. The Red Raiders rushed for 255 yards and four touchdowns in the win.

The Red Raiders are 34 point favorites in a matchup with UTEP on Saturday at 7 p.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

5. Baylor (NR)

Baylor dominated Stephen F. Austin 56-17 on Saturday in a game where junior quarterback Charlie Brewer threw for 199 yards and three touchdowns.

Sophomore wide receiver R.J. Sneed had five receptions for 57 yards and two touchdowns. The Bears defense recorded three sacks and one interception in the win.

The Bears face-off against the University of Texas in San Antonio on Saturday at 3 p.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

4. Iowa State (NR)

Iowa State struggled against Northern Iowa to take a 29-26 win on Saturday.

Sophomore quarterback Brock Purdy threw for 278 yards with two touchdowns. Senior wide receiver Deshaunte Jones carried the Cyclone receiving core with 14 catches for 126 yards. Senior wide receiver La’Michael Pettway was the target in the red zone and had three catches for 26 yards and two touchdowns.

The Cyclones may have lost the most talent in the Big 12, and it will be interesting to see how Iowa State bounces back.

The Cyclones have a week off before battling in-state rival University of Iowa on Sept. 14.

3. Oklahoma State (RV)

Oklahoma State dominated Oregon State 52-36 in week one.

Sophomore running back Chuba Hubbard tore apart the Oregon State defense picking up 221 yards and three touchdowns.

Freshman quarterback Spencer Sanders threw for 203 yards and three touchdowns in his first start for Oklahoma State. Sanders also rushed for 109 yards. Junior wide receiver Tylan Wallace caught five passes for 92 yards and two touchdowns

The Cowboys will play McNeese on Saturday at 6 p.m. on ESPN+.

2. University of Texas (No. 10)

Texas took care of business in week one with a 45-14 win over Louisiana Tech.

Junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw for 276 yards and four touchdowns. Sophomore running back Keaontay Ingram rushed for 78 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore wide receiver Brennan Eagles scored two touchdowns with 59 receiving yards

Texas has the most exciting game in the Big 12 with a matchup with LSU in primetime on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on ABC.

The Longhorns will be coming into the matchup as a six-and-a-half point underdogs.

1. University of Oklahoma (No. 4)

The Sooners dominated offensively in graduate transfer quarterback Jalen Hurts’ first game as the starter for Oklahoma. They won against Houston, 49-31.

There is a strong possibility that Hurts could be the Heisman front-runner which would be the third consecutive starting quarterback at Oklahoma to win the Heisman.

Hurts threw for 332 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 176 yards with three touchdowns.

The Sooners are going to be tough to beat, but their defense did look vulnerable at times. Junior linebacker Kenneth Murray led the defense with 13 tackles, 7 of which were solo and half a sack.

The Sooners will play South Dakota on Saturday at 6 p.m.