Students meet librarians for their college, department

0
135
Laura Bonella, academic services librarian for social sciences and education, helped two students, Avery Mott and Hannah Meredith, juniors in elementary education, during the Meet Your Librarian event. Bonella has been with K-State for 19 years. (Bailey Britton | Collegian Media Group)

Students of all majors could meet their department’s academic service librarian and grab a free T-shirt at the Meet Your Librarian event Monday morning on the first floor of Hale Library.

Laura Bonella, academic services librarian for social sciences and education, helped two students, Avery Mott and Hannah Meredith, juniors in elementary education, during the Meet Your Librarian event. Bonella has been with Kansas State University for 19 years.

“The main way we help is with your research,” Bonella said. “So, if you have questions about doing research, or finding the right sources or what databases to use or anything in your research process, evaluating sources … whether things are under copyright, how you can work with things that are copyrighted, those are all things librarians are going to help you [with].”

Bonella said she fell into being a librarian when she was working on her doctorate. She did not finish it and was looking for a job. She eventually began working as a librarian, which has many duties around K-State.

DSC_0018.jpg

“It’s really varied,” Bonella said. ” We’re on committees. We do things like Faculty Senate, we do university committees, we do a lot of national service, like American Library Association committees. But the main thing we do is help with and work with students and faculty for their research.”

Meredith and Mott are transfer students — Mott from North Central Missouri College and Meredith from Barton Community College.

After seeing a flyer at the K-State Student Union Library Help Desk, Mott and Meredith decided to check out the event.

Neither student had been in Hale prior to the May 2018 fire. Mott said she is glad Hale now has study space available.

“I think the union is loud and crazy,” Mott said. “And so whenever you come here, it’s like so quiet. It’s super nice to have that quiet place — especially whenever it comes to midterms and finals and stuff.”

Currently, all academic service librarians are located in the College of Business Administration Building. Adriana Gonzalez, academic services department head, said that should hopefully change next semester when the second floor opens. Gonzalez can’t wait for everyone to be in a central location.

“It will benefit those students because it gives them dedicated study space, but also gives us as librarians a place to be together,” Gonzalez said. “It benefits both of us in that relationship because you don’t have to go far to look for us and we are all together in the same building.”

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the assistant news editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.