A glance at your weekend: Upcoming events in MHK

0
119

Garba and Dandiya

When: Saturday, Sept. 21, 7:30-10:00 p.m.

Where: K-State Student Union Ballroom

What: Head to the Union Ballroom Saturday night to take part in a Garba and Dandiya night hosted by the Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth (SPICMACAY). Garba and Dandiya is a traditional Indian folk dance form. This is the first time in around eight years that K-State hosts this event, and SPICMACAY anticipates over 250 participants.

Tap Dance and Doughnuts

When: Saturday, Sept. 21, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.

Where: 2121 Meadowlark Rd. courtyard

What: For National Dance Day, join the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble, Tap to Togetherness, Manhattan Parents as Teachers and the Meadowlark Hills community for Tap Dance and Doughnuts — a free event open to anyone.

After Hours: Fitness Fest

When: Friday, Sept. 20, 7:30-10:00 p.m.

Where: Peters Recreation Complex

What: The Union Program Council, partnered with other entities, will host a variety of fun classes during this fit fest. Students can partake in Zumba, yoga and cycling classes offered by the Rec, while UFM offers hula hooping, belly dancing and line dancing classes. More activities will take place. The time of the classes are listed on the UPC website.

Film: Yesterday

When: Saturday, Sept. 21 7:00-9:00 p.m.

Where: Forum Hall, ground floor of the Student Union

What: K-State students can see a free showing of the film “Yesterday” if they have their K-State ID. The film follows a young singer-song writer who wakes up to discover The Beatles never existed after a car crash and global blackout. The singer-songwriter begins performing songs by The Beatles, quickly gaining notoriety.

McCain Performance Series: Steve Martin and Martin Short

When: Sunday, Sept. 22 7:30 p.m.

Where: McCain Auditorium

What: Comedians Steve Martin and Martin short will visit K-State to speak about their experiences and influences through musical numbers, comedy and more. Ticket prices are listed on McCain’s website.

Hi there! I'm Julie Freijat and I'm the culture editor and an assistant news editor for the Collegian. I love science and technology, hate poor movie dialogue and my favorite subreddit is r/truecrime.