Here’s everything you need to know to give blood this week

0
77
Students and faculty can donate blood this week through the K-State Red Cross blood drive. In the last 10 years, the annual drive has banked about 14,500 donations. This year, they hope to get 500 pints. (Archive Photo | Collegian Media Group)

This week, students and faculty will be able to donate blood in the annual Kansas State Red Cross fall blood drive. The Red Cross is hoping to collect 500 donated pints of blood this year.

Jan Hale, communications director at the American Red Cross, said if K-State meets that goal, it will become the biggest blood drive in Kansas.

When and where do I donate?

Monday- K-State Student Union Ballroom from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

Tuesday- K-State Student Union Ballroom from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Putnam Hall lobby.

Wednesday- K-State Student Union Ballroom from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. or 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Putnam Hall lobby.

Thursday- K-State Student Union Ballroom from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. or 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Putnam Hall lobby.

What do I need to donate?

K-State students and faculty interested in donating blood this week need to bring a blood donor card or a driver’s license with them. If you don’t have those forms of identification, bring two other types of identification. Proof of identity is required to check-in.

To donate, you must weight at least 110 pounds and be in good health. If you are below the age of 18 but would like to donate, you must show parental consent.

How do I make an appointment?

Though appointments aren’t required to donate blood in the drive, making one in advance can help save some time.

To make an appointment, visit the American Red Cross website, download the Red Cross Blood Donor app or call 1-800-733-2767.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.