K-State volleyball ends non-conference play with one win at North Texas Challenge

0
65
Freshman libero, Dru Kuck passes the serve during the volleyball game against the University of Central Arkansas in Bramlage Coliseum on Sept. 8, 2019. The Wildcats beat the Sugar Bears 3 sets to 1. (Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

After being swept at the Missouri State Invitational two weekends ago, Kansas State picked up a win at the North Texas Challenge against North Texas. The Wildcats beat North Texas in a five-set match.

Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Brynn Carlson and sophomore opposite hitter Gloria Muturi each had 17 kills. Redshirt junior Peyton Williams added 11 of her own to the stat sheet.

Williams ended the night with a .417 hitting percentage to lead K-State. Redshirt senior Sarah Dixon recorded a double-double with 56 assists and 11 digs on the night.

The Wildcats forced a fifth set after taking the fourth set 27 to 25, with 23 kills in the set. K-State hit .354 in the set to take the fourth.

The defense of the Wildcats held North Texas to just a .125 hitting percentage in the fifth set. Two of three blocks came from Mutiri who also recorded four kills on six attacks in the match. Ending their three match losing streak, the Wildcats rounded out the match with a 5-1 run against North Texas.

Friday night was the second straight match in the tournament where K-State forced a five set match with this time against Ohio.

Dixon recorded a career-high 61 assists with four Wildcats contributing at least 10 kills. Carlson had 14, while Williams added 13 and hit for a team high .500 efficiency.

K-State held the lead throughout the second set by as many as seven points and was able to hang on to win 25-20. In the set, the Wildcats held Ohio to a .171 efficiency.

Down 2-1, K-State hit .379 in the fourth set where the score was tied 12 times to force a fifth set.

Freshman libero Dru Kuck redshirt sophomore libero Jacque Smith both led the Wildcats with 15 digs. Ohio finished with a 79-67 edge in total kills and finished with a .300 hitting percentage for the match.

K-State fell to New Mexico on Saturday in four sets after splitting the match at a set a piece after two frames.

Carlson ended the day with a career-high 21 kills and is the first Wildcat to record 20 kills this season.

The first set had seven lead changes, but ended with New Mexico winning 30-28. New Mexico recorded seven aces, including the final point of the set. K-State went on a 5-1 run, but was unable to close it out.

The second set, the Wildcats evened the match with an 11-3 scoring run. Carlson had six kills in the frame. K-State as a team hit .371 while adding 16 kills.

Three team blocks by New Mexico and a 9-1 run helped give the Lobos the third set victory. The defense by New Mexico limited the Wildcats to a .067 hitting efficiency.

The fourth set saw K-State go ahead 10-5, but that would be quickly erased as New Mexico went on a 10-5 run to tie the set at 15. The Lobos had a 6-1 scoring advantage to help close out the match and give them the victory.

K-State hit just .217 overall with 58 kills, 24 errors on 157 attacks. New Mexico now leads the all-time series 2-0.

The Wildcats will begin conference play on Saturday Sept. 28, as they travel to Fort Worth, Texas to take on TCU at 4 p.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.