News Briefs: Sept. 24

0
61

A soldier stationed at Fort Riley faces one count of distributing information related to explosives and weapons of mass destruction after being arrested last weekend. The New York Times reports Jarrett William Smith expressed plans to attack a major American news outlet, shared information online on how to build explosives and had potential plans to attack Democratic president candidate Beto O’Rourke. Smith was charged in federal court on Monday in Topeka.

On Oct. 8, the United States Supreme Court will consider whether Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 guarantees nationwide protection from workplace discrimination to gay and transgender people. The Civil Rights Act currently prohibits employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin and religion. This will be the first time the Supreme Court has heard a case on LGBTQ+ rights since the retirement of Justice Anthony Kennedy in 2018.

The United Nations Climate Action Summit met Monday for world leaders to discuss climate change and the effects of weaning off fossil fuels on the economy. Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old climate activist from Sweden, called out world leaders and said: “The eyes of all future generations are upon you. If you choose to fail us, I say we will never forgive you.” The United States, having pulled out of the Paris Agreement — an international pact against climate change — made no comment at the summit.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.