K-State volleyball secures first Big 12 win at TCU

0
76
The K-State volleyball team celebrates a 3-0 victory over Missouri State on Sept. 4, 2018, in Ahearn Field House. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State volleyball secured a four-set win in the first Big 12 match of the season against TCU on Saturday in Forth Worth, Texas.

The 3-1 win puts K-State at 6-7, one game under .500. TCU fell to 5-7 on the season.

The Wildcats recorded 18 team blocks to TCU’s 6. Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Brynn Carlson added 18 kills to stat sheet.

Fifteen of the 18 team blocks came in the second and third sets when K-State bounced back after dropping the first set to the Horned Frogs. The Wildcat defense held TCU to a .125 hitting percentage in the match overall.

In their only set victory on the day, the Horned Frogs hit .375, but had 29 attack errors during the rest of the match. TCU never trailed in the opening set and recorded 16 kills. They ended the set on a 9-3 run.

Freshman outside hitter Anna Dixon and Carlson each completed two of K-State’s seven kills in the opening set.

Carlson led the Wildcats with 47 attacks while hitting .362. Redshirt sophomore libero Jacque Smith had 19 digs in the match.

Four blocks from redshirt junior middle blocker Peyton Williams played an important part in helping K-State even the match at 1-1. The Horned Frogs hit only .045 percent while the Wildcats had 10 kills.

In the third set, K-State took a 2-1 lead behind eight blocks.

In the final set, Carlson had six kills in a 9-2 scoring run by the Wildcats. K-State held TCU to a .163 hitting efficiency.

K-State will host its Big 12 home opener on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. against Texas Tech. The game can be seen on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.