Voting increased at K-State in 2018 midterms

0
131
The voting rate or registered students increase from 23.8 percent in 2014 to 47.3 percent in 2018. (Collegian Media Group)

The voting rate of registered students at Kansas State was 47.3 percent in 2018, an increase from 23.8 percent in 2014, according to the National Study of Learning, Voting and Engagement.

The registration rate also increased from 66 percent to 76.2 percent. In addition, voting for all age groups increased. For 18 to 21-year-olds, it increased from 10.3 percent to 30.5 percent. In the 22 to 24-year-old range, the voting rate increased from 12.5 percent to 32.6 percent

On National Voter Registration day in 2018, K-State Votes registered more than 120 students. In addition, there was a push in fall 2018 to register new voters from groups such as LoudLight, HandsOn, the League of Women Voters and Student Governing Association.

“As part of our commitment to community engagement, K-State has worked to create engaged citizens, strengthen democratic values and promote civic responsibility,” David Procter, director of the Institute for Civic Discourse and Democracy and the Center for Engagement and Community Development, said in K-State Today. “This national study of student voting demonstrates that our efforts at Kansas State University are paying dividends.”

Bailey Britton
My name is Bailey Britton and I am the editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.