Infographic: K-State saw increase in liquor law violations, recorded hate crime in 2018

0
123
The infographic uses statistics and information available in the yearly safety and crime report K-State releases in accordance with the Clery Act. The graph focuses specifically on violations and arrests that took place on campus property, although the report also includes crimes that occurred in proximity to campus. (Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

Each year, Kansas State is required to publish an annual campus security and fire safety report in compliance with the Clery Act.

In 2018, K-State documented one racially-based hate crime.

In an emailed statement, Cindy Hollingsworth, executive director of news and communications services, said the report was based on a “criminal threat” made on Aug. 16, 2018.

“Upon review, K-State Athletics was listed as the victim,” Hollingsworth said.

In an earlier email, Hollingsworth iterated that inclusion in the report “does not determine authoritatively whether a reported crime actually occurred.”

“Kansas State University is fully committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all,” Hollingsworth said.

Between 2016 and 2018, K-State also saw an increase in on-campus liquor law violations that amounted to more than 65 percent.

In 2017, on-campus drug abuse violations spiked at 56 citations, but tapered off to 36 in 2018. However, drug abuse arrests on campus property doubled from 2017 to 2018.

Reported on-campus rape was down in 2018, showing a 60 percent decrease since 2016.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.