Wildcats fall to Baylor in three sets, drop second Big 12 match

0
25
Then-freshman setter Kenzie Smith leaps in the air to spike the ball against Texas on Sept. 19. 2018. (Rowan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team could not secure their second Big 12 win on the road against No. 1 Baylor on Saturday.

Baylor (13-0, 3-0) swept K-State (6-9, 1-2) in three sets.

Baylor had its lowest efficiency in the third set. The Wildcats used seven of their 11 blocks on the day in the final set in an attempt to avoid a sweep.

In the third set, there were 16 ties as K-State reached set point three times before Baylor won edged past the Wildcats with extra points. This extended Baylor’s program-record streak of 22 consecutive set victories.

Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Megan Vernon tied a career-high with eight blocks. Freshman outside hitter Anna Dixon and sophomore opposite hitter Gloria Mutiri each contributed four block assists.

Redshirt senior setter Sarah Dixon had 25 assists of her own to add to a team-high nine digs on the day.

Baylor led the stats sheet with 44 kills compared to K-State’s 33. The Wildcats had 13 service errors, the most they recorded in a three-set match this year.

The second set saw the Bears hit .346, a match-high while the Wildcats had eight errors and only five kills.

K-State will return home to host sixth-ranked Texas on Wednesday in Ahearn Fieldhouse. The match will begin at 7 p.m. and air on Fox Sports Network.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.