K-State volleyball drops fourth straight Big 12 game against West Virginia

0
52
Freshman defensive specialist and libero Loren Hinkle tracks the ball, setting it for her teammates. During Cats for a Cure night, Texas defeated the Wildcats 0-3. Oct 10, 2019. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

It has been tough sledding for the Kansas State volleyball team in the early portion of Big 12 play. The Wildcats dropped their fourth straight conference match on Saturday afternoon in Ahearn Field House, this time in four sets at the hands of West Virginia.

K-State 6-11 (1-4 Big 12) managed to take the first set with an impressive .360 hitting percentage while holding West Virginia to .091. The set win snapped a three-game streak of opponents sweeping the Wildcats.

West Virginia 9-8 (1-4 Big 12) did not let that first-set lead last, taking the next three-sets and dominating in kills with an 18 kill advantage over K-State, 62-44. The victory gave West Virginia their first Big 12 win of the season.

West Virginia overall had a .291 team efficiency, the highest K-State has allowed in Big 12 play this season. Despite the loss, K-State had a .254 team efficiency, their highest since their victory at TCU on Sept. 28.

Leading the way for the third straight game for K-State was freshman outside hitter Anna Dixon with 11 kills. Redshirt senior setter Sarah Dixon recorded her ninth double-double of the season with 31 assists and 14 digs.

Things won’t get much easier for the Wildcats as they travel to Norman, Oklahoma, on Wednesday to take on Oklahoma (11-5, 3-2) at McCasland Field House. The match is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen on Fox Sports Oklahoma and heard on KMAN radio.