Women’s golf finishes tied for 12th in Texas

0
51
Teammates congratulate junior Niamh Mcsherry for winning the Marilynn Smith Sunflower Invitational at Colbert Hills Golf Course on Sept. 18, 2019. (Luis Villarreal-Reyes | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s golf team finished tied for 12th out of 15 schools at the Jim West Invitational hosted by Texas State.

The tournament was played at the 6033 yard, par-72 Kissing Tree Golf Club in San Marcos, Texas over the weekend.

Kansas State started the tournament out hot. They shot a team score of 280 out of the gate. Despite the solid score, K-State sat at tenth place.

The round was led by senior Chloe Weir, whose 4-under 68 was a career low. She was followed up by junior Niamh McSherry, who shot a 3-under 69, and sophomore Heather Fortushniak with 2-under 70.

“Chloe did a nice job, she holed a lot of putts, she saved a lot of pars,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “She had a lot of good shots, she also had some shots that didn’t go to plan, but she has the short game that she made some really quality saves.”

Weir was the lone Wildcat to put together two-straight rounds below par with a second round 1-under 71. K-State’s score on the second round was 1-over as a team.

Freshman Haley Vargas joined Weir in holding down the Wildcats’ team score. She shot a 3-under 69, her best round of the tournament.

“Overall, I’m proud of the ladies today,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “They showed some resilience today and climbed back from a rough start in round two. I’m really pleased that they bounced back from that, we’re in a good position. We have an opportunity for a really good finish.”

The second day of the tournament was even worse for K-State, which shot 301 as a team and did not record a single score below par.

The Wildcats at one point in the round climbed all the way to 6th place, but fell to 12th after a disastrous final nine holes. McSherry and Weir both shot 2-over 74s on the final round to pace K-State.

“It was disappointing, but it was not due to a lack of effort,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “They played well for 45 holes. We have to build on that and clean up the lost shots.”

K-State has one more tournament for their fall season. They head to Los Cabos, New Mexico for the Battle at the Beach hosted by TCU from Nov. 1 through Nov. 3.