K-State tennis eliminated in Round of 16 at ITA Regionals Championship

0
39
(Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The tennis team was eliminated from the ITA Regional Championship at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Oklahoma, on Sunday.

Ranked opponents defeated juniors Maria Linares and Margot Decker and redshirt sophomore Rosanna Maffei.

Maffei lost to Oklahoma senior Oleksandra Korashvili in two sets, 5-7 and 3-6. Korashvili was the third-highest ranked Big 12 singles player in the September Oracle/ITA rankings.

Linares claimed her first set against Oklahoma’s junior Martina Capurro, 6-2, but fell in the second and third, 2-6 and 6-7.

Decker faced Kansas sophomore Sonia Smagina in her third match of the tournament. Decker won the first set, 6-3, and then fell in the last two 2-6 and 2-6.

Kansas State got three victories in the singles consolation round. Three Wildcats won a match — with junior Anna Turco’s three-set victory against Kansas senior Maria Toran Ribes , 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (8). Sophomore Karine-Marion Job defeated Kansas freshman Luniuska Delgado 6-3 and 6-2.

Senior Ines Mesquita won in two sets over Iowa sophomore Michelle Bacalla, but sophomore Ioana Gheorghita lost in two sets to Iowa junior Ashleigh Jacobs, 4-6, 6-0.

In all, K-State won a total of 13 singles matches at the tournament.

Up next for the Wildcats is the Arizona State Invitational in Tempe, Arizona, Nov. 8 to Nov. 10.