Men’s golf falls to ninth in final day at Royal Oaks

0
40
Despite a top 10 finish from senior Jacob Eklund, the Wildcat men's golf team finished ninth at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate tournament this week. (Archive photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s golf team finished ninth out of 12 schools at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate tournament this weekend.

Baylor hosted the tournament at the Royal Oaks Country Club, a 7,068-yard, par-71 course in Dallas.

Senior Jacob Eklund finished seventh in individual scoring. He ended up 6-under for the whole tournament at 207 strokes.

Round one saw K-State off to a slow start. The team shot a 4-over-par 288 over the first 18 holes.

Eklund, who shot a 2-under 69, was joined by sophomore Will Hopkins, who shot an even 71, in holding K-State first round score down.

Eklund also shot a 69 in the second round, while the team managed to knock three strokes off their first-round pace to finish at 1-over 285.

Junior Kyle Vance was the only other Wildcat at or below par. He shot an even 71 on the second round.

“Jake was really solid today,” head coach Grant Robbins told K-State Sports. “He hit it close quite a bit and was able to make a lot of birdies. As a team we just had too many big numbers. We are only a few shots out of the top 5. We just need to get everyone going and put up a low round tomorrow.”

At the end of the second round, K-State sat in eighth place.

On the final day of the tournament, K-State shot a 6-over 290, jumping their score-to-par from 5-under to 11-under and dropping them to ninth place.

“Overall, we just made too many mistakes that just killed our momentum,” Robbins said to K-State Sports. “We made a lot of birdies this week, we just made way too many bogeys especially inside 100 yards. It’s all about a mentality with this team and something we have to keep working hard to develop.”

Eklund’s 1-under 70 was the lone bright spot of the round for K-State, who recorded two 73’s and a 74 to round out the four scores that counted toward the team score.

The Wildcats will be off until late February, when they will compete at the North Carolina-Greensboro-hosted TPC Dorado Beach Collegiate in San Juan, Puerto Rico.