Wildcats couldn’t ride KU victory momentum in loss to Iowa State

0
55
Freshman outside hitter Anna Dixon passes the serve during the match against the KU on Oct. 23, 2019 in Ahearn Field House. (Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

The volleyball team’s momentum moving out of a comeback victory over Kansas last week did not carry into Saturday’s match with Iowa State.

The Wildcats (7-13, 2-6) traveled to Ames, Iowa, to face the Cyclones who won in a three-set sweep.

The Cyclones (13-7, 4-4) held the Wildcats to a season-low 32 kills. Freshman outside hitter Anna Dixon led Kansas State with 10 kills and a career-best eight digs. Freshman libero Dru Kuck was the only Wildcat with more than 10 digs, finishing the day with 15.

The Cyclones took an early lead with a 5-1 run halfway through the first set and maintained it.

K-State opened the second set with five straight points, but fell behind with a 10-1 Iowa State scoring run. The Wildcats then scored nine of the next 10 points to tie it at 22. Two Cyclone kills led to another set win.

The third and final set was all Cyclones as they never gave up the lead. Iowa State led by as many as 10 points in the set and hit .261. This extends Iowa State’s win streak over K-State in Ames to 12 straight matches, going back to 2007.

The Wildcats will look to get back on track in Morgantown, West Virginia, on Wednesday. The match begins at 5 p.m. and can be heard on 1350 KMAN.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.