K-State team takes first place at Adobe Creative Jam competition against KU

0
116

On Friday, Oct. 25, Adobe Creative Jam hosted a graphic design competition between Kansas State and the University of Kansas.

The competition between 17 KU teams and four K-State teams took place in Kedzie Hall from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. K-State teams won first and second place titles.

The goal of the event was to familiarize students with Adobe XD, a vector-based design software. After a short tutorial, students had 70 minutes to create an app centered around mindfulness.

Cassidy Winsor, member of K-State’s winning team and senior in fine arts, said she went into the competition somewhat blindly.

“We signed up really not knowing what to expect,” Winsor said. “We just knew that it was an all-day event and some sort of competition with prizes. Neither of us were really going with the intention of winning.”

Winsor and her teammates competed with extra credit incentive for a graphic design studio, as well as interest in the opportunity for a resume builder. They created an app called Flourish.

“It was following the theme of mindfulness, so it was kind of a ‘grow with you’ type of app,” said Jordyn Peyla, member of the winning team and senior in fine arts. “When you sign up, you get a seed and as you participate in different mindfulness exercises such as meditative breathing, journaling and getting in touch with your five senses, your plant grows.”

The illustration and animation it took to create the growing plant were a product of teamwork. Peyla created all of the app’s illustrations, while team member and senior in fine arts, Ashley Read, created the animations.

Winsor credited Read with the app’s uniqueness and explained that they were only one of two teams with an animation in their app, which set them apart.

“Ashley made the animation of the plant coming to life and she tackled that really beautifully,” she said.

Read felt the same way about teammate Peyla.

“I thought it was really cool because, Jordyn, we threw a lot at her, just with designing all of the stuff,” Read said. “She drew everything for the app. We were kind of like, ‘Hey illustrate this, illustrate this, illustrate this,’ and so because of that, she really came up with the theme, look and feel of the app.”

Read is also the editor-in-chief of the Royal Purple yearbook.

Winsor said she suspected that the clean combination of their original illustrations and animations were what set their team apart, and allowed them to take home the first place title.

“I think our app just looked more cohesive than some of the others, because we used our own illustrations,” Winsor said. “Also, we used the UX/UI kits that Adobe provides, so everyone’s pages that they made looked cohesive because they all had the same typeface and the same size, and we created almost like a style sheet.”

As first place winners, each of the seniors were awarded a $250 Visa gift card and three months of Adobe stock images.