Cross country finishes with two Wildcats in top-25 at Big 12 Championships

0
80
The K-State cross country team practices at the R.V. Christian Track and Field complex on Oct 25, 2019. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State cross country teams both placed a runner in the top-25 at the Big 12 Championships in Waco, Texas, on Saturday.

In the 24th annual conference championships at the Cottonwood Creek Golf Course, freshman Jaybe Shufelberger and sophomore Jackson Schroeder led the way for the Wildcats with team-best finishes.

Shufelberger ran the 6-kilometer race in 21:04.9 to place 14th overall. With this time, she became the highest-ranking Wildcat for the women’s team to finish at the Big 12 Championships in four years. Schroeder finished 22nd overall in the 8-kilometer race in 24:21.2. This was the best time by a men’s runner since 2004 for K-State.

The men’s team finished sixth overall with 150 points, just three away from Texas Tech with 147 points.

The women’s team placed eighth out of 10 teams with 214 points on the day. This was the highest finish for the Wildcats since they finished seventh in 2015.

Shufelberger earned All-Big 12 honors as well as all-conference honors — the first to do so since 2015 and 2003, respectively.

Iowa State’s men’s team won overall with its third straight Big 12 Championship victory. Oklahoma State won the meet on the women’s side.

K-State competes Friday, Nov. 15, in Stillwater, Oklahoma, at the NCAA Midwest Regionals.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.