News Briefs: Nov. 3

0
710

After a shooting Friday evening, the Riley County Police Department arrested Richard Goens of Manhattan, on offenses of first degree murder, aggravated assault, and aggravated robbery. He shot and killed Tanner Zamecnik of Manhattan. Zamecnik suffered a life threatening gunshot wound and was transported to a local hospital where he later died. Goens is held in the Riley County Jail on a $1 million bond.

Judge Michael Simon of the Federal District Court in Portland, Ore., blocked President Donald Trump’s policy barring immigrants from entering the country if they don’t have health insurance or a way to pay for medical care. A Kaiser Family Foundation study found legal immigrants to be three times as likely to be uninsured than United States citizens. The New York Times wrote lawyers from Justice Action Center, Innovation Law Lab and the American Immigration Lawyers Association said this policy would cause more harm than good.

To combat its distinction as the state with the highest incarceration rate, Oklahoma will see 527 commutations of prison sentences, according to the Washington Post. The commutations will be of low-level drug and nonviolent offenses. Oklahoma lawmakers call this the largest single-day commutation in both state and U.S. history.

Bailey Britton
My name is Bailey Britton and I am the editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.