News Briefs: Nov. 3

0
704

After a shooting Friday evening, the Riley County Police Department arrested Richard Goens of Manhattan, on offenses of first degree murder, aggravated assault, and aggravated robbery. He shot and killed Tanner Zamecnik of Manhattan. Zamecnik suffered a life threatening gunshot wound and was transported to a local hospital where he later died. Goens is held in the Riley County Jail on a $1 million bond.

Judge Michael Simon of the Federal District Court in Portland, Ore., blocked President Donald Trump’s policy barring immigrants from entering the country if they don’t have health insurance or a way to pay for medical care. A Kaiser Family Foundation study found legal immigrants to be three times as likely to be uninsured than United States citizens. The New York Times wrote lawyers from Justice Action Center, Innovation Law Lab and the American Immigration Lawyers Association said this policy would cause more harm than good.

To combat its distinction as the state with the highest incarceration rate, Oklahoma will see 527 commutations of prison sentences, according to the Washington Post. The commutations will be of low-level drug and nonviolent offenses. Oklahoma lawmakers call this the largest single-day commutation in both state and U.S. history.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.