K-State moves up, Kansas comes down to earth in week 11 rankings

0
2991
Junior quarterback Skylar Thompson runs in a touchdown during K-State’s football game against KU in David Booth Memorial Stadium on Nov. 2, 2019. The Wildcats defeated the Jayhawks in this year’s sunflower showdown with a final score of 38-10. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

10. Kansas Jayhawks

Kansas fans are glad basketball season has tipped-off after a 38-10 loss to Kansas State on Saturday.

Senior quarterback Carter Stanley threw for 115 yards and two interceptions. Stanley also had five carries for -27 yards and was sacked four times.

K-State held sophomore running back Pooka Williams to only 61 yards. Williams moved from second to third in Big 12 rushing leaders but still averages 95.6 yards per game.

The Jayhawks will have to win out for bowl eligibility, but they have shown flashes of improvement this season.

The Jayhawks will have a bye week before facing Oklahoma State in week 12.

9. Texas Tech Red Raiders

After a shocking loss to Kansas in week nine, the Red Raiders entered the bye week with plenty to work on. Texas Tech now looks to redeem themselves against West Virginia in week 11.

Junior quarterback Jett Duffey has thrown for 1,420 yards and nine touchdowns in six games. Freshman running back SaRodorick Thompson has had a nice season for the Red Raiders with eight touchdowns.

The Red Raiders will travel to Morgantown, West Virginia, to face the Mountaineers on Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPN2.

8. West Virginia Mountaineers

West Virginia could not spook the Bears in a 17-14 loss last Thursday.

Junior quarterback Austin Kendall threw for 205 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

The Mountaineers collected eight sacks. Junior defensive lineman Darius Stills had three sacks for seven on the season. The Mountaineer defense is tied with Baylor for first in the conference in sacks with 26 this season.

West Virginia enters Saturday’s 11 a.m. matchup with Texas Tech as 2.5-point underdogs.

7. TCU Horned Frogs

TCU could not stop Oklahoma State in a 34-27 loss on Saturday.

Freshman quarterback Max Duggan threw for 258 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. Senior running back Darius Anderson is fourth in the Big 12 in rushing with 83 yards per game and six touchdowns on the season.

TCU will need to win two of the next four games to become bowl eligible. The Horned Frogs will host Baylor on Saturday at 11 a.m. on Fox Sports 1.

6. Iowa State Cyclones

After the bye week, the Cyclones needs one more win to become bowl eligible.

Sophomore quarterback Brock Purdy is second in the conference in total offense, averaging 345 yards per game. Purdy has thrown for 2,567 yards this season, more than any quarterback in the conference.

Iowa State’s air-raid offense has gotten some help with freshman running back Breece Hall, who has rushed for seven touchdowns this season.

Iowa State will play Oklahoma on Saturday at 7 p.m. on FOX.

5. Texas Longhorns

Texas will be coming off a bye week after a road loss against TCU in week nine.

Junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger has thrown for 23 touchdowns, leading all Big 12 quarterbacks. Ehlinger is third in the conference in total offense.

Texas needs one win to become bowl eligible and still has a chance to make the conference championship but must win on Saturday against K-State.

The Longhorns will play the Wildcats on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN.

4. Oklahoma State Cowboys

Oklahoma State jumped into the top-25 with a 34-27 win over TCU last Saturday.

Sophomore running back Chuba Hubbard rushed for 223 yards and two touchdowns. Hubbard leads the nation in rushing. He also won the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week.

Freshman quarterback Spencer Sanders threw for 158 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.

The Cowboy defense forced three turnovers and five sacks in the win. Oklahoma State is fourth in the Big 12 in sacks.

Oklahoma State is bowl eligible and another team in search of the Big 12 Championship. The Cowboys will have a bye week before hosting Kansas in week 12.

3. Kansas State Wildcats

K-State retained the Governor’s Cup with an eleventh straight win over Kansas on Saturday.

Junior quarterback Skylar Thompson rushed for 127 yards and three touchdowns. Thompson has scored seven rushing touchdowns in the last two weeks.

K-State moved the ball with ease against the Jayhawks with 471 total yards and 342 coming from the rushing game.

Senior defensive lineman Trey Dishon recorded two of the four sacks. The defense held the Jayhawks to 10 points and are second-best scoring defense, allowing only 20 points per game.

K-State is bowl eligible but has a chance to reach the conference championship.

The Wildcats will play Texas on the road as seven-point underdogs.

2. Baylor Bears

The Bears remained with a 17-14 win over West Virginia on Halloween.

Junior quarterback Charlie Brewer threw for 277 yards, and two touchdowns. Senior wide receiver Denzel Mims had five receptions for 99 yards and one touchdown.

Baylor turned the ball over thee times but managed to win. The Bears defense holds opponents to only 18 points per game this season and leads the conference in scoring defense.

Baylor still sits outside the top 10 but has the best chance of making the conference championship. The Bears have yet to play Texas and Oklahoma.

Baylor will play TCU on Saturday as 2.5-point favorites.

1. Oklahoma Sooners

The Sooners are coming off a bye week after a loss on the road to K-State that dropped Oklahoma out of the top four. It will be a challenge for the Sooners to make the College Football Playoff and will need a lot of help to get there.

Senior quarterback Jalen Hurts leads the Big 12 in total offense with 3,270 total yards. Junior wide receiver CeeDee Lamb is third in the conference in touchdowns with 12 on the season, which leads all wide receivers.

Oklahoma is still the front runner for the Big 12 Championship but will need to take care of business on the field. Their run continues with a matchup against Iowa State on Saturday. The Sooners will host the Cyclones as 14.5-point favorites.