ANALYSIS: Wildcats struggle with consistency through whole game in loss to Texas

0
135
Both K-State and KU fans cheer on their football teams during the K-State vs KU game in David Booth Memorial Stadium on Nov. 2, 2019. The Wildcats defeated the Jayhawks in this year’s Sunflower Showdown with a final score of 38-10. (Emily Lenk | Collegian Media Group)

The football team got off to a strong start against the Texas Longhorns at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas, on Saturday. After the first quarter, they held a 14-0 lead.

A pair of touchdown passes, one for 78 yards and one for 19, from junior quarterback Skylar Thompson, had the Wildcats rolling early.

A hot Wildcat offense full of confidence that combined for 86 points in the last two games appeared to be on a mission. Then the Wildcats failed to get back on the scoreboard until the fourth quarter.

It took a 98-yard kickoff return by true freshman wide receiver Joshua Youngblood for Kansas State to get back on the board. Youngblood sprinted through the Longhorn return coverage.

The Wildcats had a few big offensive miscues that prevented them from scoring.

A fumble by sophomore fullback Mason Barta cost the Wildcats on one drive, and a key drop by senior wide receiver Dalton Schoen in the fourth quarter that would’ve been a touchdown cost them on another.

Instead, the Wildcats had to settle for a field goal and tie the game at 24-24.

K-State played well on offense, but in a hostile road environment they needed to finish drives and key plays to defend in order to remain in the rankings.

The Wildcats now sit at 3-3 in Big 12 play and lost an opportunity to move forward for a chance to play in the Big 12 Championship game.