Privilege Fee Committee recommends continuance for Center for Student Involvement

0
40

The Privilege Fee Committee recommends a continuance of $403,677 for the Center for Student Involvement allocation.

Kelli Farris, executive director of the CSI, said Privilege Fee funds are utilized for operations, SafeRide and Week of Welcome activities. Currently, Farris’ salary is paid for by the K-State Student Union, but she would like to use CSI funds in the future.

“The Union [salary] is not a long term feature,” Farris said.

The CSI contract currently includes Student Legal Services and Internal Auditing, which Farris asked to be removed. She also asked for language to be changed regarding financing SafeRide and Week of Welcome.

“We want to change the language [of the contract] to say “at least $32,000,” Farris said in regards to SafeRide.

In the contract now, the language specifies at least $87,000 must go to SafeRide.

Farris also wanted to look into a different program outside of the currently utilized ATA bus system because of low usage. One suggestion was utilizing microtransit, such as Uber or Lyft. Farris said those options would be cheaper, but she isn’t sure how students would react to the change.

Alan Hinds, student senator and sophomore in agricultural economics, suggested changing the language to say “at least $15,000” and encouraged the CSI to explore different options for SafeRide. This motion passed unanimously.

“This is a program we need to look at very closely,” Farris said.

Farris also requested a change to the Week of Welcome financing specifications. She wants to see the $25,000 requirement changed to say “at least $10,000.” Farris said the CSI will utilize donations from Koch Industries and carryover funds to makeup the funding differences.

The committee also passed this suggestion unanimously.

In addition, Student Legal Services and Internal Auditing was removed from the CSI contract.

The remaining allocation for CSI is to be used for operations and salaries.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.