Texas moves up as West Virginia slides down in Big 12 power rankings

0
313
Junior running back Harry Trotter runs in a touchdown during K-State’s football game against KU in David Booth Memorial Stadium on Nov. 2, 2019. The Wildcats defeated the Jayhawks in this year’s sunflower showdown with a final score of 38-10. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

10. Kansas Jayhawks

Kansas returns to play after a much-needed bye week. Senior quarterback Carter Stanley has thrown for 2,015 yards, 19 touchdowns, and seven interceptions on the season.

Sophomore running back Pooka Williams is third in the conference in rushing, averaging 96 yards per game.

The Jayhawks will have to win out to clinch bowl eligibility, but they have shown improvement in the first year of the Les Miles era.

The Jayhawks will play Oklahoma State at 11 a.m. Saturday on Fox Sports One.

9. West Virginia Mountaineers

The Mountaineers suffered at the hands of Texas Tech in a 38-17 loss last Saturday.

Junior quarterback Austin Kendall threw for 355 yards and two interceptions. Kendall has ten interceptions with 12 touchdowns on the season.

Junior quarterback Jarret Doege and sophomore quarterback Isaiah Esdale threw one touchdown each.

West Virginia’s defense is tied for first in the conference with 26 sacks, but is still ninth in terms of rush and total defense which will be a factor against Kansas State.

The Mountaineers will face the Wildcats on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN.

8.Texas Tech Red Raiders

Texas Tech rode a 21-point first quarter to defeat West Virginia 38-17 in a road rout on last Saturday. Junior quarterback Jett Duffey threw for 354 yards and one touchdown.

Sophomore running back Ta’Zhawn Henry rushed for 67 yards and two touchdowns. Freshman running back SaRodorick Thompson also rushed for two touchdowns on 27 yards. Thompson is tied for fourth in conference touchdowns with 10 on the season.

The Texas Tech defense forced four turnovers and lead the conference with 13 interceptions. The Red Raiders also lead the conference with a +9 turnover margin.

Texas Tech will host TCU at 11 a.m. Saturday on ESPN2.

7. TCU Horned Frogs

TCU came close to ruining Baylor’s perfect season but fell short in a 29-23 triple-overtime loss last Saturday.

Freshman quarterback Max Duggan threw for 140 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.

The TCU defense recorded three sacks in the game with eight tackles for loss and held Baylor to nine points in regulation.

The Horned Frogs need to win two of the next three games to become bowl eligible after a two-game losing streak.

The Horned Frogs are three-points favorites against Texas Tech on Saturday.

6. Iowa State Cyclones

The Cyclones rallied with a 20-point fourth quarter but fell just short of a comeback after a failed two-point conversion to lose 41-42 on the road against Oklahoma.

Sophomore quarterback Brock Purdy threw for 282 yards and five touchdowns with one rushing touchdown. Purdy leads the conference in passing yards per game, averaging 316 per game and is second in total offense with 3,100 yards this season.

The Cyclone defense recorded eight tackles for losses including three sacks against Oklahoma.

Iowa State sits at 5-4 with three games remaining and will look to clinch bowl eligibility at home against Texas.

The Cyclones will host the Longhorns at 2:30 p.m. on Fox Sports 1.

5. Oklahoma State Cowboys

The Cowboys come off a bye week at 6-3 (3-3) with a chance to impress the bowl committee.

Sophomore running back Chuba Hubbard leads the nation in rushing yards with 1,604. Hubbard averages 178 yards per game and has 18 touchdowns this season. He will be a challenge for Kansas’s last place rush defense. Hubbard is a crucial part of the Cowboy’s conference-leading rushing offense.

Junior wide receiver Tylan Wallace leads the Big 12 in receiving yards per game averaging 113 with eight total touchdowns.

Oklahoma State enters the matchup with the Jayhawks as 17.5-point favorites.

4. Kansas State Wildcats

The Wildcats lost a 27-24 heartbreaker decided by a field goal in Austin on Saturday.

Junior quarterback Skylar Thompson threw for 253 yards and two touchdowns. Freshman wide receiver Joshua Youngblood had a 98-yard kick return touchdown.

K-State is second in scoring offense limiting opponents to 21 points per game. The Wildcats also have the number one pass defense in the Big 12, allowing only five passing touchdowns all season.

With three losses, the Wildcats are likely out of the championship race but K-State is bowl eligible in Chris Klieman’s first year as head coach.

The Wildcats are 14.5-point favorites against West Virginia on Saturday.

3. Texas Longhorns

Texas defeated K-State 27-24 on a game-winning field goal.

Junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw for 263 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Ehlinger is third in the conference in total offense with 3,042 total yards this season and is one of three Big 12 players over the 3,000-yard mark.

Sophomore running back Keaontay Ingram rushed for 139 yards and two touchdowns.

The biggest star of the game for the Longhorns was the defense that limited K-State to only 51 rushing yards.

With the win over K-State, Texas has a chance to squeak into the conference championship but will need some help.

The Longhorns are seven-point underdogs on Saturday against Iowa State.

2. Baylor Bears

Baylor improved to 9-0 with a 29-23 triple-overtime thriller against TCU last Saturday.

Junior quarterback Charlie Brewer threw for 195 yards and two touchdowns with one interception and rushed for one touchdown.

The Baylor defense keeps the Bears in games, limiting opponents to 19 points per game which leads the Big 12. Their defense also leads the conference in sacks with 29. The Bears had three sacks in the win over TCU.

Baylor is in a good position to reach the Big 12 Championship but has yet to play Oklahoma and Texas. The Bears will have to put up points despite being fifth in the Big 12 in scoring offense.

The Bears will face off against Oklahoma on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on ABC.

1. Oklahoma Sooners

The Sooners survived at home in a 42-41 win over Iowa State.

Senior quarterback Jalen Hurts threw for 273 yards, three touchdowns and one interception with two rushing touchdowns.

Junior wide receiver CeeDee Lamb had two touchdowns including a 63-yard touchdown reception. Lamb has 13 touchdowns this season which leads all receivers in the Big 12.

The matchup against Baylor will feature the Big 12’s best with the top-scoring offense in Oklahoma against the top-scoring defense in Baylor.

The Sooners sit outside the College Football Playoff but are in a good position for a conference championship bid. The Sooners are 11-point favorites in the matchup against Baylor.