The Burrow celebrates spirit of ‘Harry Potter’ with annual dessert theater

0
105
Stephanie Wallace, Burrow treasurer and graduate student in English, lounges in the K-State Student Union dressed as a Hogwarts student on Oct. 31, 2019. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Harry Potter fans can “expecto” lot of magical surprises at the dessert theater Friday evening.

The Harry Potter Dessert Theater is an annual event co-sponsored by the Union Program Council and The Burrow. The event is one of the group’s main events each year.

The Burrow is a chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance, an international nonprofit organization run primarily by fans who channel their passion into activism for literacy, equality and human rights causes.

While its members are comprised of fans, The Burrow is about more than just geeking out about the “Harry Potter” series. The group uses community to facilitate philanthropic community events like craft sales, book drives, hurricane relief fundraisers and even a wizard rock concert.

“I like how we’re a group that can combine something we’re fond of, ‘Harry Potter’ and fandoms in general, with the desire to help people and make the world a better place,” Allison Adams, graduate student in mechanical engineering, said.

Adams is the most senior Burrow member and helped plan this year’s dessert theater.

The event includes volunteers from Sunset Zoo, K-State Insect Zoo, On the Spot Improv and the College of Education.

This year will feature a more interactive collaboration with On the Spot, K-State’s student improv group, who will teach “wizarding” classes, said Stephanie Wallace, Burrow treasurer and graduate student in English.

Guests will be instructed in a “Care of Magical Creatures” class featuring owls and spiders, and “Transfiguration,” which will have origami and other crafts.

“So everyone gets to see On the Spot one on one, as they play the role of ‘Harry Potter’ characters,” Wallace said.

Katherine Sundgren, graduate student in history, said what she continues to enjoy about “Harry Potter” is the depth of characters and the philanthropic efforts of the cast that portrayed them in the movies.

“The characters always just … find something new to capture you and make you keep thinking,” Sundgren said. “Especially as always, the cast members of the people who worked on the movies, they’re always … doing something new to help people.”

The Burrow asks attendees to bring non-perishable goods for a food drive to support Cats’ Cupboard.

“I really wanted an event that we spend so much time planning to actually do good besides just entertainment,” Wallace said.

Wallace encourages people of all ages attending the event to feel free to come in costume.

“It’s family friendly, it’s all about K-State fun,” Wallace said. “I know some people like to think ‘Oh, it’s just my kids will dress up.’ It’s like, no, everyone dress up! It makes it so much more fun.”

The Harry Potter Dessert Theater will take place 7 p.m. Friday in the K-State Student Union Ballroom and is free to the public.

My name is Rebecca Vrbas. I’m the culture editor at the Collegian and a junior in journalism and mass communications. My hobbies include obsessing over an ever-expanding pool of musicals and cats (not the musical). I love writing because of the infinite intricacy of language, as well as its power to cultivate a sense of community through sharing experiences.