BSU Represent showcases student talent

0
49
Over the weekend, Kansas State’s Black Student Union hosted its annual BSU Represent showcase. (Rebecca Vrbas | Collegian Media Group)

Over the weekend, the Black Student Union hosted its annual BSU Represent showcase, an event featuring performances from the different organizations that comprise the BSU.

The event was co-hosted by Daijah Jones, sophomore in psychology, and Tarrance Floyd II, sophomore in secondary education, pre-law and psychology.

BSU Represent had a lot to celebrate this year, as this year marks the 50th anniversary of the BSU’s legacy at Kansas State.

“[The anniversary] is a huge milestone, just to think that K-State hasn’t always had a Black Student Union,” Jones said. “We … put on BSU Represent to showcase all the different organizations that make up the Black Student Union and just to showcase black excellence.”

Brianna Jackson, senior in psychology, performed at the event as a representative of her sorority, Zeta Phi Beta.

“My favorite part honestly is just all the energy from the crowd,” Jackson said. “Just being on stage and hearing them cheer you on, it feels so good.”

Jackson said her group has been practicing for the event since the beginning of the school year, and that it represents a great opportunity to recruit new members.

“It’s our family within the K-State family,” Jackson said.

Jones, a member of BSU’s executive board, said she believes the organization’s most important role is representation.

“I would say the most important thing about BSU is … representation,” Jones said. “And also having a safe space to be around people who share your ideals, or like who you can come to for … help with things or resources or just like a networking community.”

For anyone interested in getting involved, BSU meets Tuesday evenings in the K-State Student Union room 227 at 7 p.m., Jones said.

“BSU is not exclusive to just black students, anybody can participate, anybody can be a member,” Jones said.

My name is Rebecca Vrbas. I’m the culture editor at the Collegian and a junior in journalism and mass communications. My hobbies include obsessing over an ever-expanding pool of musicals and cats (not the musical). I love writing because of the infinite intricacy of language, as well as its power to cultivate a sense of community through sharing experiences.