K-State Volleyball falls to Baylor on senior day

0
31

The Kansas State volleyball team wrapped up its 2019 home campaign on Saturday afternoon, taking on the No. 3 ranked Baylor Bears on a day where three Wildcats would play their final match at Ahearn Field House. Baylor swept the Wildcats in straight sets, 19-25, 17-25, 18-25 to hand K-State their fifth straight loss, matching a season-high skid, with four of those losses being in three sets.

Coming into the match K-State (8-19, 3-12 Big 12) had a tough task ahead of them, taking on the nation’s second-ranked kill producer in Yossiana Pressley who was coming off of a season-high-tying match where she recorded 31 kills against No. 1 Texas. While Pressley did not see the same success as she had on Wednesday night, the junior for Baylor (23-1, 13-1 Big 12) still led the match in kills, recording 13 on the day for a .200 hit percentage.

K-State, on the other hand, was led by redshirt junior middle blocker Peyton Williams who was one of the three players being honored on Saturday. Playing her final match at Ahearn, Williams led the way in kills, recording eight on the day, while also recording two block assists. The two other players playing their final match at Ahearn got into the action as well, redshirt senior setter Sarah Dixon had a team-high 12 assists along with five digs, while senior defensive specialist Mckenzi Weber had four digs.

While Baylor had led in almost all categories including kills, 31-46, and aces, 6-2, the Wildcats were able to out block the Bears, having eight total blocks on the day compared to Baylor’s six. This was thanks to redshirt sophomore middle blocker Megan Vernon who recorded six block assists, while sophomore opposite Gloria Mutiri had four block assists of her own, Mutiri also had six kills on the day.

From the start it seemed like Pressley was on track to have another dominating performance for the Bears, recording nine kills in the first set, helping the Bears jump out on the Wildcats and take the first set 25-19. Baylor recorded a .263 hitting percentage to start out the match compared to the Wildcats .184 percent, who were led by Williams in the first set with four kills.

After the first set though, Pressley remained fairly quiet, only recording four more kills in the match, this didn’t slow Baylor down though, cruising to a 25-17 set two victory. K-State had a match-low .029 hitting percentage, recording nine kills but racking in eight errors, Williams led the way once again for the Wildcats, recording three kills on five swings. This compared to Baylor who also had a match-low hitting percentage, but it was at .206 percent as the Bears recorded 13 kills in their set-two victory.

Baylor closed out the match with a set-three victory that saw the Bears record 18 kills, and a match-high .375 hit percent, taking the set 25-18 over the Wildcats. K-State had its best hit percentage of the day in set three at .231 percent, recording 10 kills with redshirt freshman outside hitter Holly Bonde leading the way with three kills on the set.

Overall, K-State finished the match with a .143 hit percentage with 31 total kills and 17 errors on 98 attacks while Baylor finished with a .279 hit percentage with 46 kills and 17 errors on 104 attacks.

K-State looks to finish out its season on a high note on Saturday, Nov. 30 at Texas Tech. That match is set for a 1:00 p.m. start time and will air live on TexasTech.TV as well as on KMAN radio.