ANALYSIS: Wildcats’ poise wasn’t enough in loss to the Panthers

0
32
Junior guard Cartier Diarra scans the court for an open play during the men's basketball game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 19, 2019. The Wildcats came back strong in the second half and defeated the Golden Lions 62-51. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Wildcats struggled to capitalize down the stretch, which ended in a 63-59 loss against the Panthers.

Panther sophomore guard Xavier Johnson sealed the deal with a short jumper with 10.1 seconds extending the lead, followed by a pair of free throws with 4.6 seconds remaining on the clock to push Pittsburgh to victory.

Despite Kansas State’s devastating loss, the Wildcats posted their first half time lead of the season leading 30-28.

Junior guard Cartier Diarra led the Wildcats in the loss tonight, with 13 points, six assists and three steals to go along with 34 minutes of play.

Freshman guard DaJuan Gordon came to play with a career-high 12 points, shooting two of four from long range in 21 minutes.

Wildcat big man senior forward Makol Mawien fouled out late in the contest, contributing only four points and one rebound in 11 minutes.

In addition to a 23.1 percent shooting night from the free-throw line, the Wildcats scored a season-low of 59 points.

The Panthers had four players in double figures, accounting for 50 of their 63 points in the game.

The charge was led by senior forward Eric Hamilton who posted a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.

K-State showed poise throughout the game, but in the end the strength of Johnson was a little too much for the Wildcats.