News Briefs: Dec. 1

0
93

The Manhattan City Commission will consider whether or not to approve a new Douglass Recreation Center on Tuesday at 7 p.m. The Manhattan Mercury reports the new center would be built near existing facilities in the Tenth Street area. The advisory board that oversees the Douglass Center plan to have basketball courts as well as pickleball and volleyball space.

A plane crash Saturday afternoon left nine dead and three injured in South Dakota. Two of the deceased were children. According to NPR, 12 people were aboard the flight headed from South Dakota to Idaho.

Geologists recorded six earthquakes in 27 hours near Wichita over the weekend. The Wichita Eagle reports the strongest of the earthquakes measured in at a magnitude of 3.1 after 1:30 a.m. on Saturday. The final tremor weighed in at a magnitude of 2.0 after 4 a.m. on Sunday just south of Cheney.

I'm Pete Loganbill and I'm the News Editor for the Collegian and host of the Collegian Kultivate podcast! I spent two years at Johnson County Community College, and I am now a senior in Public Relations at K-State. I believe constant communication leads to progress, no matter how difficult a comment may be for me or anyone to hear. Contact me at ploganbill@kstatecollegian.com.