SGA sends Educational Opportunity Fund bill back to committee following two hours of debate

0
136

In the last Student Governing Association senate meeting of the semester, senators debated Educational Opportunity Fund allocations, listened to the revised Joint Committee on Officer Compensation report and learned about Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Senators sent a resolution allocating fiscal year 2021 funds to EOF entities such as academic scholarships, grants and community service projects back to Senate Operations Committee.

Natalia Rodriguez, student senator and sophomore in human resource management and spanish, said the bill should be tabled because there wasn’t sufficient information available.

“The minutes for the meeting weren’t available for us as a body to do our own research,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t feel comfortable voting this through without the information.”

The Educational Opportunity Fund Committee will present a new resolution with justification of allocations to student senate by the third senate meeting of the spring semester.

In addition, Alex Bontrager, PAWS president and senior in microbiology, presented on Seasonal Affective Disorder. It is defined as a mood shift during season changes, typically between fall and winter, Bontrager said, but it can also occur during the spring and summer.

“A lack of vitamin D and exposure to sunlight affect the circadian rhythm,” Bontrager said.

Bontrager said SAD can worsen preexisting mental illnesses such as depression and borderline personality disorder. Symptoms include depression, lack of interest in activities, changes in sleep and appetite.

Bontrager recommends increasing exposure to sunlight during the winter months, eating foods rich in vitamin D and asking physicians about taking a vitamin D supplement.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.