Women’s basketball comes up short against No. 23 Arkansas

0
90
Senior guard Angela Harris charges the basket during the women’s basketball game against Incarnate Word in Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 3, 2019. The Wildcats defeated the Cardinals 85-41. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s basketball team competed in their first true road game of the season, but ultimately fell to No. 23 Arkansas 81-72.

Senior forward Peyton Williams led the Wildcats, moving to tie for fourth in school history with her 26th career double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds. Williams ranks 12th on the all-time rebounding list with 749.

Two other Wildcats joined Williams in scoring double figures — senior guard Angela Harris scored her season-high 16 points and redshirt freshman center Ayoka Lee scored 15 points. Lee also recorded a double-double with 14 rebounds, a career-high.

That didn’t match the great scoring performances of two Razorbacks; redshirt junior guard Chelsea Dungee led Arkansas with 32 points followed by senior guard Alexis Tolefree with 21 points.

Arkansas began the game with an early 11-4 lead in the first quarter. The Wildcats then called a timeout to make adjustments and came out strong to end the first quarter down 16-14.

The second quarter followed the same sequence. Arkansas got to a 30-19 lead, but Kansas State battled and cut the lead to four points to end the quarter to trailing 37-33.

The Wildcats came out of halftime by continuing their hot streak to take a narrow 42-41 lead with less than 7:00 left in the third quarter. The Razorbacks answered with a 10-0 run to retake the lead at 55-46. The third quarter ended with Arkansas ahead 61-50.

The Razorbacks ended up being too much for the Wildcats to handle in the fourth quarter as they got to their biggest lead of the game, 72-58.

In the end, the Wildcats fell to Arkansas 72-81.