Women’s basketball comes back to beat UMKC

0
77
Junior guard Rachel Ranke scans the court for an open play during the women’s basketball game against Incarnate Word in Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 3, 2019. The Wildcats defeated the Cardinals 85-41. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s basketball team travelled to Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Missouri, to play University of Missouri-Kansas City Saturday afternoon.

They took down the Roos 74-67 thanks to a late 13-0 run after trailing for over 23 minutes of the game.

Redshirt freshman center Ayoka Lee recorded yet another double-double in the game with 24 points and 14 rebounds in 35 minutes of play. She was 12-13 from the free throw line.

She also sparked a Kansas State comeback win with a layup to make it a four-point game with just under six minutes to play.

Redshirt sophomore guard Cymone Goodrich then brought the game to within two with a layup, and Lee tied it up with a pair of free throws inside of three minutes.

From there, senior guards Jasauen Beard and Angela Harris gave K-State the last seven points it needed to ice the game, including a deep three from Harris to make it a two-possession game with just 25 seconds left to play.

Harris finished the game with 20 points and was perfect from three-point range, a season-high point total for the transfer guard.

In the fourth quarter, K-State held UMKC to just 12 percent shooting while putting in 29 percent of their own shots. The Wildcats were a perfect 6-6 from the free throw line in the quarter.

Overall, the Wildcats shot 43 percent from both the field and behind the three-point arc, and were over 80 percent from the line for the game. They held the Roos to 8-28 from three and 38 percent shooting overall.

Senior forward Peyton Williams rounded out the three Wildcats in double-figures with 13 points of her own. She also pulled down a team-high 15 rebounds.

The Wildcats have the week off before taking on a top-5 Oregon team in Eugene, Oregon, at 2 p.m. on Dec. 21.