Women’s basketball fourth quarter rally comes up short in loss to Oklahoma State

0
115
Senior forward Peyton Williams scans the court as she looks for an open play during the women’s basketball game against Oklahoma State in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 15, 2020. The Wildcats fell to the Cowgirls 70-63. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

In a game mostly dominated by the Oklahoma State Cowgirls, the women’s basketball team fell 70-63 on Wednesday night.

For the first 30 minutes of the game the Cowgirls held a safe lead. This momentum kept them ahead and secured them a safety-net lead of 15 points in the third quarter.

However, the Wildcats wouldn’t go down without a fight as they worked to mount a big comeback in the fourth quarter. They cut the lead down to four at 62-56 with 5:02 remaining.

01.15.20.KSUWBBvsOSU.LW.09.jpg
Freshman guard Emilee Ebert looks for an open play during the women’s basketball game against Oklahoma State in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 15, 2020. The Wildcats fell to the Cowgirls 70-63. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Senior guard Angela Harris and senior forward Peyton Williams led the way as they scored the 14 points in the comeback attempt.

Williams recorded a personal season-high of 25 points, shooting 8-13 from the field and 80 percent from the charity stripe.

The Wildcats then got as close as they would get as Harris converted a layup after getting a defensive steal to make the lead 62-58.

The Cowgirls would then score five unanswered points, enough to hold off the Wildcats and seal their win in Bramlage Coliseum.

Kansas State will work to get back to .500 in Big 12 play after dropping this one to Oklahoma State. The Wildcats host the Texas Longhorns at noon on Sunday.