K-State’s third-quarter rally foiled in fourth

0
75
Senior forward Jasauen Beard scans the court for an open play during K-State’s women’s basketball game against Oklahoma State in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 15, 2020. The Wildcats fell to the Cowgirls 70-63. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team was beaten late in a 73-59 loss in Ames, Iowa, by the Iowa State Cyclones, Wednesday night.

The Wildcats shot just 2-14 from three-point range and 24 percent overall on the night. They also turned the ball over 16 times and were out-rebounded by 10.

The glaring problem for K-State was their lack of production off the bench. K-State’s non-starters provided just eight points, five of which were sophomore guard Cymone Goodrich’s contribution to the third quarter rally.

To get themselves in position to make a comeback attempt in the fourth quarter, K-State had to battle back from an 11-point halftime deficit.

Leading the third quarter charge was Williams with five points and Goodrich with another five points. K-State managed to outscore Iowa State 20-13 in the third quarter, the only quarter they would outscore the Cyclones in.

Thanks to that third quarter, the Wildcats trailed by four points heading into the fourth quarter before being beaten down the final stretch.

The Wildcats twice cut the late Cyclone lead down to two points, both times thanks to baskets from senior forward Peyton Williams.

With five minutes to play, the Wildcats cut the Cyclone lead back down to three. That was the last time K-State would be within one possession.

Iowa State answered K-State’s last-ditch rally with an 18-7 run to finish the game, including an 8-0 to finish the game. They forced three Wildcat turnovers over the final two minutes of the game.

Williams lead K-State with 15 points, she also contributed a team-high nine rebounds. She managed to dish out three assists from the forward spot in 37 minutes of play.

Freshman forward Ayoka Lee, who averages a double-double for the season, scored 12 points and pulled down seven rebounds. She blocked two shots.

The Wildcats will resume play Saturday in Manhattan where they will host the Oklahoma Sooners at 2:00 pm on ESPN+.