PREVIEW: Women’s basketball team will test its height against Sooner shooting Saturday

0
104
Senior forward Peyton Williams looks to the basket as she prepares to make a play during K-State’s women’s basketball game against Oklahoma State in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 15. The Wildcats fell to the Cowgirls 70-63. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team will set its sights on the Oklahoma Sooners Saturday afternoon in Manhattan.

The Wildcats are riding a three-game losing streak into the matchup. They sit at 7-9 overall and 1-4 in Big 12 play.

Oklahoma is .500 (4-4) in Big 12 play and 10-8 overall, but has lost two straight games. The Sooners got blown out at home by TCU last Saturday and took a good Texas Tech team to overtime in Lubbock, Texas, Wednesday.

The name of the game for Oklahoma is young guard play. Their leading scorer is sophomore guard Taylor Robertson. The McPherson, Kansas native averages 21.1 points per game and put up 26 against Texas Tech.

Following her up are junior guard Ana Llanusa, who averages nearly 17 points, and sophomore guard Madi Williams, who averages 14.2 points. Williams is also Oklahoma’s leading rebounder.

The Wildcats will be without 6-foot-1 junior guard Rachel Ranke, who suffered a season-ending surgery in December. Missing that height on the perimeter may be an issue for K-State against a hot-shooting Sooner team who puts down 38 percent of their three-point shots.

Robertson and Williams both shoot better than 41 percent from behind the arc on their own. Sophomore guard Jessi Murcer is right behind them at an even 40 percent.

The main battle of this game will likely be K-State’s defense against the Oklahoma three-point threat.

If K-State can force their shooters off the line, they should be able to keep Oklahoma’s scoring down. The Wildcats probably will not be able to shoot with Oklahoma.

K-State will surely try to force the ball inside to senior forward Peyton Williams and freshman center Ayoka Lee, both of who average a double-double for the game.

Lee stands 6-foot-5, and Williams is 6-foot-4. The Sooners, frankly do not have the talented size inside that K-State relies on game in and game out. The Wildcats should focus on controlling the rebounds on both ends of the court with their size advantage.

The game will be streamed live online on Big 12 Now on ESPN+ at 2 p.m. Saturday, and the K-State Radio Network will have the radio feed.