Men’s basketball evens season series with victory over Oklahoma

0
58
Junior guard Mike McGuirl scans the court for an open play during the men's basketball game against Oklahoma in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 29, 2020. The Wildcats took the Sooners 61-53. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Wildcat momentum started with the jump ball and lasted until the sound of the final buzzer in the men’s basketball 61-53 victory over Oklahoma.

Just a few weeks ago, the Wildcats took a close 66-61 loss to the Sooners in Norman, Oklahoma. Not only did Wednesday night’s win even the season series between the two programs, but it also marked a much-needed win for Kansas State. This victory marks just the second for the Wildcats against Big 12 opponents this season.

The Wildcats were led by an unlikely hero as junior guard Mike McGuirl came off the bench. In 26 minutes of play, McGuirl matched his career-high in points at 16. When K-State wavered, it was McGuirl who sealed the deal.

At the conclusion of the game, K-State finished shooting 37.1 percent from the field.

Redshirt junior guard Cartier Diarra and senior forward Xavier Sneed joined McGuirl in double-digit scoring with 10 and 12 points respectively.

As was the case in the last matchup between K-State and Oklahoma, the teams went head to head. Oklahoma junior guard Austin Reaves is certainly in the running for the top player in this game, scoring 12 of the 53 points for the Sooners. Junior guard Alondes Williams scored an additional 15 points.

The Wildcats forced 19 turnovers by the Sooners en route to evening the season series.

Tonight’s win adds another victory to the Wildcat total, improving their record to 9-11 on the season, 2-5 in Big 12 play.

Head coach Bruce Weber is now 8-0 against Oklahoma at home.

The Wildcats will travel to Morgantown, West Virginia, on Saturday to take on the Mountaineers. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. on ESPN2.