Men’s Basketball falls to West Virginia on the road

0
245
Freshman forward Antonio Gordon celebrates after charging the basket for a layup during the men’s basketball game against West Virginia in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 18, 2020. The Wildcats took the Mountaineers with a final score of 84-68. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Wildcats upset the Mountaineers earlier this season in Manhattan, but the meeting on the road belonged to West Virginia.

It was a close, contested game up until there were 13 minutes remaining in the game when the Mountaineers extended their lead, not relinquishing less than an eight point advantage. It was that late game domination that secured a 66-57 victory at the expense of Kansas State.

For the first part of the game, it was an even match. The Wildcats held a lead with about 10 minutes remaining in the first half 16-15, sealed by a jumper from junior guard Mike McGuirl. The lead quickly faded as the Mountaineers regained their momentum on the following possession.

West Virginia extended the lead to 25-16, their largest lead of the first half at 5:26.

K-State fought back and shortened the Mountaineers’ lead to 27-30.

The Wildcats then clawed the lead to 30-29 to open the second half with two free throws from senior forward Xavier Sneed.

The Mountaineers got their largest lead of the game, 49-35, with nine minutes remaining in the second half. They would go on to control the game from there, cruising to even the season series with the Wildcats.

Sophomore forward Derek Culver led the Mountaineers in 35 minutes of play and 19 points. Culver was a big part of West Virginia’s win against K-State on Saturday.

The Mountaineers were able to take advantage of 14 turnovers by the Wildcats by scoring 14 points off those turnovers. The Mountaineers relied heavily on non-starters with 31 of their points coming off the bench.

Junior guard David Sloan led the Wildcats in scoring with 13 points and Sneed followed with 11 points.

K-State will next host No.1 Baylor in Bramlage Coliseum on Monday at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.