PREVIEW: Men’s basketball hosts No. 1 Baylor for a primetime game

0
106
Junior guard David Sloan looks across the court for an open play during the men's basketball game against Oklahoma in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 29, 2020. The Wildcats took the Sooners 61-53. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The men’s basketball team will have an opportunity to pull off an upset on the No. 1 team in the country as they host the Baylor Bears on Monday.

The Bears have been red hot this season, and they come into this game with a 18-1, 8-0 Big 12 record, winning 18 consecutive games. Their one loss this season came from the Washington Huskies in their second game this season.

They recently just defeated the TCU Horned Frogs 68-52 on Saturday.

Kansas State (9-12, 2-6 Big 12) was recently defeated by No. 12 West Virginia 66-57.

The Wildcats have had one upset victory at home this season as they defeated West Virginia on Jan. 18, 84-68.

K-State did not shoot the ball well against the Mountaineers on Saturday, shooting 36.7 percent from the field.

They will need to rebound from that shooting performance and shoot the ball well Monday night if they are going to pull off the upset against the Bears in Manhattan.

The Wildcats will need a big game from senior forward Xavier Sneed, who has been the team’s leading scorer this season, scoring 14.4 points per game.

Sneed has had some big games this season, but has also been silent in games as well. He has a chance to prove himself as an elite senior on the big stage of ESPN against the Bears.

Freshman guard DaJuan Gordon also has a chance to continue to show his leadership and strong playing ability in this game. He has certainly shown his play-making ability this season, coming out of the freshman shadow.

Junior guard David Sloan has also made a big impact on the team this season. Sloan has done well contributing to the team since he joined the starting lineup. He recently scored 13 points against the Mountaineers on Saturday.

When the Wildcats upset the Mountaineers on Jan. 18, they shot the ball very well — at 59.2 percent. K-State held West Virginia to 44.2 percent from the field.

That is the type of shooting performance the Wildcats will need Monday night if they are going to pull off the upset and give the Bears their first loss of the Big 12 season.

This game will have national spotlight as it will be played on ESPN2 and is scheduled to tip-off at 8 p.m. on Monday night.