Women’s basketball defeats Red Raiders with strong second half

0
67
Senior forward Peyton Williams looks to the basket as she prepares to make a play during K-State’s women’s basketball game against Oklahoma State in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 15. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

It was a story of the second half for the Kansas State women’s basketball team Wednesday evening as they completed a comeback to defeat the Texas Tech Lady Raiders 84-70 in Bramlage Coliseum.

The Lady Raiders went into halftime with a 38-30 lead, but the Wildcats brought it in the second half by scoring a season-high in a half with 54 points.

“I thought it was a good last 18 minutes,” head coach Jeff Mittie said to K-State Sports. “Coming out of halftime I think we had the right focus, but the first couple trips down the floor weren’t very successful.”

The Wildcats’ comeback began after Texas Tech secured a 10-point lead with 6:11 left in the third quarter.

It started with senior forward Peyton Williams scoring four points in a row. Those four points led to a 15-3 run that gave the Wildcats the lead 50-48. The Lady Raiders responded and held a 55-53 lead going into the fourth quarter.

K-State went into the fourth quarter with positive momentum after the great third quarter.

Texas Tech tried took a 60-55 lead, but sophomore guard Christianna Carr found her shot, leading the Wildcats to complete the comeback as she scored eight straight points that included shots from beyond the arc. Carr scored a total of 14 points in the quarter.

Redshirt freshman center Akoya Lee, Carr, Williams and senior forward Angela Harris all scored in double figures for K-State.

Lee led the Wildcats scoring with 24 points — her seventh game with 20 or more points. Harris followed with 18 points, Williams recorded 15 points and Carr with 14 in the fourth quarter.

Williams recorded her eleventh double-double on the season with 11 rebounds.

The Wildcats shot an overall 45.5 percent, including 50 percent from behind the three-point line.

The Wildcats’ defense was able to hold the Lady Raiders to 36.2 percent shooting in the game, helping complete the comeback.

K-State will now host the Baylor Lady Bears at 2 p.m. Saturday. It will be K-State’s annual participation in National Girls and Women in Sports Day. It will be broadcast on Big 12 Now on ESPN+ as well as on the K-State Sports Network.

K-State improved to 10-10 overall on the season and 4-5 in conference play.