PREVIEW: Men’s basketball looks toward a tight matchup against Oklahoma State on Tuesday

0
202
Junior guard David Sloan charges the basket during the men's basketball game against Baylor in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 3. The Bears skated by with a six-point victory over the Wildcats. The final score was 73-67. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

After a disappointing loss to Iowa State on Saturday, the Wildcats return to Bramlage on Tuesday with a matchup against Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma State is coming off a near-road upset in a 78-70 loss to No. 1 Baylor on Saturday. The Cowboys got their first conference win in a dominant 72-57 win over TCU last Wednesday. The last few years have been bad for the Cowboys, but there is plenty of room for growth with nine underclassmen on their roster and no juniors.

Sophomore guard Isaac Likekele is leading the Cowboys with 11.6 points per game and has a 46.7 percent field goal percentage. Likekele also leads Oklahoma State in steals, assists and minutes. The sophomore has been dominating on the court as of late with double-digit performances in the last seven games, including a double-double against No. 1 Baylor.

Senior guard Xavier Sneed leads the Wildcats averaging 14.5 points per game for Kansas State. Redshirt junior guard Cartier Diarra is fresh off a 24 point game against Iowa State and also leads the Wildcats in assists with 4.7 per game. Diarra is averaging 3.4 turnovers per game. Like the Cowboys, the Wildcats are a young team with three freshman expected to play a significant amount of time for K-State.

Both teams have struggled offensively this season, but Oklahoma State holds a slight advantage, averaging 67 points per game, which is seventh in the conference. The Wildcats sit at the bottom of the Big 12 Conference, averaging only 65 points per contest.

There is a similar story on the defensive side for both teams. Even though the Wildcats lead the conference in steals, averaging 8.52 per game, they are seventh in the Big 12 in scoring defense. The Cowboys are eighth in the conference in scoring defense, allowing 66 points per contest. The matchup will likely be a low scoring affair, though it could be a tight game — and K-State is favored according to ESPN.

K-State holds an 82-53 all-time record over the Cowboys and is riding a four-game winning streak over Oklahoma State dating back to February 2017. K-State dominated the Cowboys in the last matchup in Manhattan, defeating Oklahoma State 85-46. The Wildcats and Cowboys will tip-off at 8 p.m. Tuesday on ESPNU