Saddle up: K-State hosts 64th annual K-State college rodeo

0
356
K-State hosts its 64th Annual College Rodeo in Weber Arena on Feb. 15, 2020. The rodeo brought over 500 contestants from 19 colleges and universities from the Central Plains Region over the weekend. On the night of the 15th, 4,000 people were in the bleachers cheering on their favorite riders. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Energy filled Weber Arena during the second night of the 64th Annual College Rodeo Feb. 15 for Pack Weber Purple Performance night at Kansas State. Events ranged from goat tying to steer wrestling, and contestants who proved their ability advanced to the rodeo’s final events scheduled for Feb. 16.

The evening kicked off at 7 p.m. with the crowning of Miss Rodeo K-State 2020. Kenzie Jones, junior in life sciences, and Jessica Klumpe, senior in animal science and industry, participated in the competition. Jones was named Miss Rodeo KSU and Klumpe received the title of Miss Congeniality and runner-up.

02.15.20.K-State64thAnnualCollegeRodeo.LW.02.jpg
Miss Rodeo K-State 2020 Kenzie Jones, junior in life sciences, takes her first ride around Weber Arena after being crowned. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Following the Miss Rodeo KSU announcement, seniors in the K-State Rodeo Club were announced to commemorate their involvement. This would be their final competition in Weber Arena.

The rodeo began with bareback riding — one of the more dangerous events. Participants rode a horse bareback and attempted to stay on for eight seconds.

Jesse Troyer, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, and Dillon Young, Fort Scott Community College, both walked away with the high scores of 76 out of 100, and move forward to tomorrow’s events.

Tie-down roping followed — participants on horseback roped a calf, pinned the calf to the ground and tied up its legs as quickly as possible. Whitt Crozier, Panhandle State University, walked away with the fastest time of 11.1 seconds.

The first women’s division event of the night was breakaway roping. Contestants rode horseback and roped calves which would then breakaway from the saddle. Results for this event have not yet been scored and posted.

Steer wrestling consisted of contestants riding horseback and jumping from their horse and wrestling a steer to the ground. Gus Franzen, Southeastern Oklahoma State University, and Bradley Ralph, Northwestern Oklahoma State University, tied for the quickest time of 3.9 seconds and advanced to Sunday evening’s events.

Additional events included goat tying, won by Beau Peterson, Panhandle State University, with a time of 6.5 seconds, team roping won by Stran Morris and Jessen James, Weatherford College, and barrel racing. Results for barrel racing have not yet been posted.

_61I4992.jpg
Rodeo club advisor Casy Winn watches as the bareback riders get setup. Winn was later injured during the bull riding portion of the rodeo at Weber Arena. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group)

The evening concluded with bull riding. The event included 10 participants who geared up in helmets and pads to ride a bucking bull and hold on for eight seconds. Several attempts fell short and many bull riders didn’t hold on to their bull for longer than one to two seconds.

The high scorers were Hayden Harris, Southeastern Oklahoma State University, with a score of 86 and Colton Byram, Fort Scott Community College, and Hunter Tate, CFC, with scores of 84.

Finals begin at 1 p.m. Feb. 16.