Here are the final placements and scores of rodeo participants

0
280
K-State hosts its 64th Annual College Rodeo in Weber Arena over the weekend. The rodeo brought over 500 contestants from 19 colleges and universities from the Central Plains Region. On the night of the 15th, 4,000 people were in the bleachers cheering on their favorite riders. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

On Sunday, Feb. 16, the top participants from 19 colleges in the Central Plains Region competed in the finals of the 64th annual Kansas State College Rodeo. The participants with the top three scores from each event advanced to the College National Finals Rodeo.

“Are you ready for championship Sunday?” the announcer’s voice boomed through Weber Arena, followed by eruptions of cheers from the crowd.

Jason Defisher, graduate student in public health, said he always wanted to attend the K-State College Rodeo as an animal science undergraduate student, but never had the chance until this year.

“I’m going to come back next year, that’s for sure,” Defisher said. “It’s energetic, fun to watch and there’s something new in every round.”

In addition to rodeo events, the finals performance also focused on military appreciation. This included recognition of the Ft. Riley Color Guard before the first event.

The competition began with bareback riding, where participants ride a horse without a saddle and attempt to stay on for eight seconds.

Next, participants competed in tie-down roping. In this event, participants would rope a calf while on horseback and then proceeded to tie the calf’s legs together in the shortest possible time. Mason Couch from Northeastern Oklahoma walked away with the highest score of 107.

The women’s division then competed in breakaway roping, a variation of tie-down roping where the competitors rides on horseback and the calf is roped, but not tied. Lexie Russell from Oklahoma State University ended with the highest score of 97.

The next event was saddle bronc riding, where participants would attempt to ride a bucking horse for eight seconds.

Following that event was steer wrestling, where the person on horseback chases a steer before jumping from the horse and attempting to wrestle the steer to the ground as quickly as possible. Bradley Ralph from Northwestern Oklahoma State ended with the highest score of 91.

Afterward, the next event that took place was goat-tying. This is when a person rides a horse to a tethered goat and ties any three of its legs together, which must stay tied for six seconds. Alli Masters from Northeastern Oklahoma, Sydney Bottoms from Weatherford College, and Megan Turek from Northwestern Oklahoma all tied for the highest score in the category.

Next, pairs from each college competed in team roping. This is an event in which two horseback riders on a team attempt to rope the horns and legs of a steer in the quickest. Wyatt Murray and Whitt Crozier from Panhandle State University walked away with the highest score of 976.

The final two events included barrel racing and bull riding, but those results were unavailable at the time of publication.

The top three participants from each event will advance to the College National Finals Rodeo in June.