Women’s basketball starts strong against TCU, but falls 54-52

0
36
Senior forward Peyton Williams charges the basket for a layup during the women’s basketball team’s Play 4 Kay Pink Game to promote cancer awareness. K-State played against TCU in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 19, 2020. The Horned Frogs defeated the Wildcats 54-52. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

It was a good start for the women’s basketball team (12-12, 6-7 Big 12) in the first half against TCU (19-5, 10-3 Big 12) Wednesday night. They held TCU to just six points in the first quarter and 11 in the second quarter.

“Defensively, I thought we were pretty good with the exception of the second half,” head coach Jeff Mittie told K-State Sports.

The Wildcats went into the second half with a 24-17 lead.

But the second half didn’t go in the Wildcats’ favor. The shooting of the Horned Frogs began to pick up as Kansas State’s shooting lost steam.

The three-point shooting really hurt the Wildcats, as they shot one for 13. Mittie told K-State Sports he was satisfied with the shot selection from behind the three-point line.

“You have got to be able to shoot the three-point ball with confidence,” Mittie said to K-State Sports.

TCU came out strong. The Horned Frogs outscored the Wildcats 23-17 in the third quarter. It was a 16-8 run to end the third quarter for the Horned Frogs, allowing them to dominate the third quarter. Even with the run by TCU, the Wildcats managed to hold onto their one point lead going into the fourth quarter 41-40.

The fourth quarter was closely contested. The Wildcats trailed just behind the Horned Frogs for most of the fourth quarter, but hung tight.

On the final possession of the game, senior guard Angela Harris had the ball and lost it briefly. Harris managed to regain possession and had a few seconds to spare with room to put up a last second three-pointer. The last-ditch shot lacked the distance to make it to the rim. Ultimately, the Wildcats ended the night with a close defeat.

“Hard fought loss,” Mittie told K-State Sports. “We didn’t play as well in the last three minutes. We had opportunities. I thought we had chances in that stretch to make plays, we just didn’t.”

K-State takes on the Longhorns at noon Saturday in Austin, Texas.