Men’s golf finishes seventh in Puerto Rico

0
27
Coach Grant Robbins and Ben Fernandez discuss pitching techniques on the driving range during practice on April 15, 2015 at Colbert Hills golf course. (Archive photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The men’s golf team finished in seventh place in a rain-shortened trip to the Dorado Beach Collegiate. Only one round ended up being played at TPC Dorado Beach in San Juan, Puerto Rico, before a storm wiped out the second day’s activities.

Kansas State’s team score of 285, three strokes under par, was led by senior Jacob Eklund and junior George Clarke, who each shot two under. Sophomore Will Hopkins shot an even 72, and freshman Riccardo Leo was one over at 73.

In individual competition, Eklund and Clarke tied for 15th, Hopkins finished in a tie for 33rd and Leo a tie for 48th. The Wildcats brought one golfer who competed only as an individual, junior Kyle Vance, joined Hopkins in 33rd place.

Louisville ran away from the field to win while placing all four golfers whose score counts in the top-10, as a team they shot a 269. Directly behind them was Kansas, who shot a team 276.

The Wildcats will turn around and head to Bluffton, South Carolina, March 2 and 3 to compete in the Colleton River Collegiate, hosted by Michigan State.

Nathan Enserro
Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.