Niamh McSherry leads women’s golf to seventh-place finish

0
33
Junior Niamh McSherry celebrates sinking in her last shot to win the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational at Colbert Hills Golf Course on Sept. 18, 2019. (Luis Villarreal-Reyes | Collegian Media Group)

Junior Niamh McSherry posted the best round of golf of her Kansas State career in the third round of Westbrook Invite in Peoria, Arizona. Her final-round 68 helped send the women’s golf team home seventh out of 16 teams.

After round one, the Wildcats were in a tie for fourth with Tennessee. K-State as a team finished the round four-under par, led by sophomore Heather Fortushniak and junior Reid Isaac at 2-under 70.

Behind them, McSherry and senior Chloe Weir both recovered on the back-nine to secure even 72s.

In round two, McSherry took over. She started on 14 and birdied the 17th and 1st before a bogey on the 3rd set her back. She finished with a birdie on the 11th to give her a two-under finish.

Fortushniak contributed a 71, Weir an even 72 and Isaac a 1-over 73 to put the Wildcats at 286 for the round, good enough for sixth place at the end of the first day.

“I know a couple of girls wish they would’ve holed more putts, but really pleased with the patience on the golf course,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “They were giving themselves looks at birdie. The very few times I saw us hit one out of play, just really proud of how they responded. They didn’t carry it around with them; they let that shot go and kept moving.”

McSherry birdied holes five and six, her first two holes, on the last day. Then she birdied nine, 15 and 17. The lone bogey on 16 gave her a 4-under 68 and pulled her into a tie for 12th place in the individual portion of the tournament.

Unfortunately for K-State, she did not get much help. Fortushniak contributed a two-over performance, and Weir and sophomore Briony Bayles contributed one-overs to wipe out McSherry’s career day.

The Wildcats finished the round at an even 288, going six under for the duration of the tournament to finish seventh.

The champion of the tournament was Mississippi State, who just barely nudged out Oklahoma with a final round that was two strokes better to give them a one-stroke victory. They were -32 and -31, respectively.

K-State heads to Panama City, Florida, to take part in the Florida State Match-Up, hosted by Florida State this weekend.