K-State extends their eight-game losing streak in Waco

0
92
Junior guard Cartier Diarra scans the court for an open play during K-State’s men's basketball Throwback Game against Texas in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 22, 2020. For the Throwback Game, K-State wore two-tone lavender uniforms, which were worn from 1973 to 1982. The Longhorns took the Wildcats 70-59. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State Basketball team started one of their toughest weeks of the year Tuesday night in Waco, Texas against the Baylor Bears.

The Wildcats kept close with the Bears in their first game on Feb. 3, but this game was the opposite, as Baylor defeated the Wildcats 85-66 in a game where the Bears never trailed.

Baylor took off from the first half and never looked back, starting with an 11-2 run to open the half, and ending with a 50-24 lead heading into the break.

The Bears shot 53.3 percent from the field.

The second half was much of the same for the Bears, as they lead by as much as 34 points.

K-State caught fire to close the game — ending on a 16-1 run, bringing the Wildcats to within 20 points for the first time since early in the first half.

Redshirt junior guard Cartier Diarra had a solid game despite the loss, leading the Wildcats with 19 points, shooting 64 percent from the field and 50 percent from behind the arch — collecting three threes.

Two other Wildcats also got into the double-digit scoring mix, with freshman guard DaJuan Gordon recording 12 points, and junior guard Mike McGuirl with 10 points.

Baylor sophomore guard Matthew Mayer came off the bench in tonights contest and scored a team-high of 19 points — shooting 66.7 percent from long-range.

After facing the No. 2 team in the nation, the Wildcats will prepare to face the No. 1 Kansas Jayhawks to cap off the week.

In the Sunflower Showdown, K-State fell to Kansas 81-60 in Lawrence — a game highlighted by the brawl that occurred in the dying seconds.

The Wildcats will be looking to even the season series against Kansas on Saturday as they host the Jayhawks at 12:30 p.m. on CBS. Live audio broadcast can be found on KMAN radio.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!