Two-out RBI singles in fifth inning make the difference in 2-1 loss to Wichita State

0
28
The baseball team faced off against TCU at Tointon Family Stadium on April 19, 2019. The Wildcats lost to the Horned Frogs 8-1. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The first of two matchups between the the baseball team and Wichita State ended in a 2-1 victory for the Shockers at Eck Stadium in Wichita, Wednesday night.

Senior starting pitcher Tommy Barnhouse carried the Shockers in for the win. He pitched 5.2 innings, allowing just three hits and recording nine strikeouts.

It was the first loss of the season for Kansas State’s senior starting pitcher Kasey Ford. He pitched 4.2 innings, allowed two runs on five hits and struck out four. Ford gave up five walks, one of those leading to the second run for the Shockers. That second run ended making the difference in the game.

The Shockers got on the scoreboard in the third inning with a home run to right field hit by shortstop Cade Clemons off of a pitch from Ford.

The Shockers added another run in the fifth inning, sealing the win with an RBI single to left field.

The Wildcats scored their first run off a home run from sophomore outfielder Dylan Phillips. That was all the offense off the the Wildcats’ bats.

K-State had their chances in the game offensively, but failed to score more than a single run. They had nine at-bats with runners on base, and they were not able to record a hit in those at-bats.

The Shockers also struck out 12 K-State batters as a whole using three pitchers.

K-State dropped to 3-5 on the season and will host Fairleigh Dickinson in its home opener on Friday afternoon.