Women’s basketball defeats Iowa State with balanced offensive attack

0
97
Sophomore guard Christianna Carr takes a free throw during the women’s basketball game against Baylor in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 8, 2020. The Bears held the Wildcats 54-40. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

It was a grind out game in Bramlage Coliseum for the women’s basketball team as they successfully carved out a revenge victory against Iowa State, 60-51.

Multiple Wildcats stepped up to make shots that secured the win. Ten players scored in an all-around offensive team performance as they improved their record to 14-12 overall and 8-7 in the Big 12 Conference.

The first quarter was close and competitive. Kansas State held a 13-11 lead at the end of first quarter.

It was in the second quarter that the Wildcats got some separation, outscoring the Cyclones 12-6 in the quarter. Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly attributed the slow start to K-State’s dominating defense.

Iowa State was not able to make up for the slow-shooting start. K-State maintained the lead for the rest of the game.

But that wasn’t it for the Cyclones — they didn’t let the Wildcats steal the whole game.

Iowa State improved offensively as they made shot 5-of-13 from the three-pointer and 11-25 in field goals.

“It was a grind it out game,” head coach Jeff Mittie said. “Our defense was really on point for most of the night, probably 36 of the 40 possessions. We really wanted to defend the arch better. The first half was excellent. The second half, they knocked some down.”

K-State’s victory wasn’t won by a few big players, but it was secured by an all-around team effort on the offensive side of the ball. Three of the 10 players who scored for the Wildcats – senior guard Angela Harris, senior forward Peyton Williams and freshman forward Ayoka Lee – scored in the double-figures.

“Coach Mittie came into [the locker room] after the game and said we had 13 bench points tonight, and that is huge,” Williams said. “This was such a clear team effort in all categories. It is exciting to have a win like that.”

For Iowa State, it was sophomore guard Ashley Joens who led the Cyclones with 17 points. She carried most of the load for the Cyclones.

“It is tough to win in this league when you’re playing with one player,” Fennelly said. “Ashley Jones had to pretty much carry the load tonight. … We’re just not as efficient as we need to be right now.”

The Wildcats will face off against the Baylor Bears at 6 p.m. on Saturday in Waco, Texas.