Lighting fixture causes small fire at K-State Rec Center, no injuries reported

0
389
A fallen light fixture caused a minor fire in the Peter's Recreation Complex Feb. 28. (Bree Magee | Collegian Media Group)

The Manhattan Fire Department responded to a fire at the Kansas State Peters Recreation Complex at 12:24 p.m. A light fixture fell and ignited a fire on gym mats. The Rec’s sprinkler system activated, but did not extinguish the fire.

Ryan Almes, Manhattan Deputy Fire Chief, confirmed MFD was able to extinguish the fire.

“There’s a lot of smoke in the building right now that we’re working on getting ventilated, but the fire is extinguished.” Almes said.

Almes said there are no injuries and everyone evacuated safely. The Rec will be closed until further notice while the fire department is working to remove water and put fans up to help remove smoke so the building can be turned over to facilities.

Advertisement
SHARE